Introduction to Clearwater, Florida
First incorporated as a town in 1891, and then reincorporated as a city in 1915, Clearwater is located on the Florida's central Gulf coast in Pinellas County. It is the county seat of Pinellas county. Clearwater is 35 minutes west of Tampa and 30 minutes northwest of St Petersburg.
The original inhabitants of what is now Clearwater were the Tocobagan Indian tribe. The first settlement of the area was around 1835 when the US Army built Fort Harrison as an outpost during the Seminole wars. During the civil war, Clearwater was repeatedly raided by Union gunboats after Clearwater's supplies.
Clearwater is conveniently located near two major airports: Tampa International Airport and St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport. It is also near several major highways.
Clearwater Arts and Culture
Clearwater provides easy access to all of the fun and leisure attractions of nearby Tampa and St. Petersburg. Some attractions of note in and around Clearwater include:
- Clearwater's magnificent beaches.
- The Clearwater Fine Arts Show.
- The Clearwater Pier 60 Make A Difference Children’s Fishing Tournament.
- The Clearwater Marine Aquarium.
- The Dunedin Fine Art Center/ David L. Mason Children's Art Museum.
- The Florida Botanical Gardens.
- The Gulf Coast Museum Of Art.
- Heritage Village.
- The Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art.
- The Medieval Brass Rubbing Center and Museum.
- Moccasin Lake Nature Park.
- Sunsets at Pier 60, Pier 60, Clearwater Beach.
- The Pinewood Cultural Park.
For sports fans, Clearwater is home to the Philadelphia Phillies for spring training. The Phillies play their spring exhibition games at Clearwater's Bright House Networks Field. Clearwater is also home to a Minor League Baseball (MiLB) team, the Clearwater Threshers of the Florida State League. The Threshers are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.
There are many other sports attractions in nearby Tampa, including:
- The Arena Football League's (AFL) Tampa Bay Storm.
- Major League Baseball's (MLB) Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- The National Hockey League's (NHL) Tampa Bay Lightning.
- The National Football League's (NFL) Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
For college sports fans, nearby Tampa is also home to college football's Outback Bowl.
Search *Clearwater Homes for Sale
Today's Market Trends for *Clearwater *
* All data pertains to single-family homes